Old 31-05-2006, 03:56 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Claire Petersky

Default pesticides

"cloud dreamer" wrote in message

I've been gardening for years and have yet to need any chemical means to
control snails or slugs (or any insect). There are tons of non-toxic
alternatives. Mulch, rough lumber, copper barriers, landscape fabric, beer
traps, DE...the list goes on.

Here, in the Pacific NW, where the slugs are legendary...I've had good luck
with simply hand-picking. Go out on a wet spring morning and hand pick all
the slugs you can see. Pull back long grass and leaves where they may be
hiding. Put into a plastic bag. Knot when done, put in the freezer for a
humane death, and the next day drop into the trash. It doesn't take any
longer than spreading slug bait. I used to have a terrible slug infestation
when I first moved here; now there's hardly any.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/