Old 31-05-2006, 03:14 AM posted to rec.arts.bonsai
bobc

Default Soil types

Hello!
I am using packaged bonsai soil for the first time. It's gritty and
dries quickly. For many years I used a mix of sand, topsoil, and
perlite - sometimes adding peatmoss. For deciduous trees - maples
(Acer) and cherry (Prunus) - I mixed it in equal portions. For
conifers - Juniperus, Mugho pines - I added extra sand. I found the
best sand at a tool rental store - under the name 'sand-blasting sand'.
Don't remember the manufacturer (and I'm pretty sure it would be
different in your area), but it's advantage was twofold - priced at
$9.00 US per 100 pounds, and it was of a uniform size (maybe 1 or 2
mm).
Sorry I can't be of more help
Bob Campoli

Gregory & Melissa Allen wrote:
Hi all.
I have a couple of bonsai's which are due for repotting, the only problem is
knowing what type of soil is best to use.

Thanks for any and all replies.

greg..