Old 31-05-2006, 03:29 AM posted to aus.gardens
gardenlen

Default Do Worm castings contain worm eggs?

g'day yau-ming chiam,

generally the worm we have in our gardens are exotics anyway but they
are garden varieties, which yes like the night crawler won't stay in a
worm farm/compost bin as such, but night crawlers themselves came
about for use in worm farms etc.,. until it was discovered that they
where named by name and nature.

if you put well mulched and composted gardens in the garden worms will
find you, there is no way that they could be killed out from your
garden and be next door and never come back to your garden unless
chemicals of some sort had been used.

it is winter and they will be dormant until the soil warms, so maybe
just leave things be in that regard until the summer comes around.

and yes any compost worm will live in any well mulched garden where
you are continually putting back material such as kitchen scraps or
newspaper old fruit or past it vege plants whatever.

in cases where i have moved in and that has been the last 2 gardens,
also same here now there have been no worms visible so i get hold of
some composting worms and put them in my gardens, in my last gardens
after 4 years the composting worms where still there so that is where
i went to collect worms for our composting toilet. too easy hey?

a composting worm i expect wouldn't know if it was in a garden or a
box so long as it has a good supply of food and the place is warm.

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--