Old 31-05-2006, 08:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha Hubbard

Default Ivy - how do i remove for good?

On Wed, 31 May 2006 00:08:59 +0100, Mike Lyle wrote
(in article . com):

VisionSet wrote:
"Sacha Hubbard" wrote in message
al.net...

If so, spray
the inside of a plastic bag with your weed killer of choice, bundle up as
many ivy tips as you can into it, firmly knot the top and leave for

several
weeks. The weed killer should find its way back to the roots of the ivy.

In
the flower bed scenario, the idea is to keep the weed killer off the

plants
you love and cherish. In a no flower bed scenario spray it, or use a
paint-on weed killer. Whatever you choose to do, do it on a still, calm

day. The very faintest breath of air will cause the spray to drift.

You don't actually have to be quite as anal as that. The pragmatic approach
is to whack what you don't want directly and quickly. Any drift is going to
get other plants yes, but a tiny percentage of the dose is not going to harm
them. I've never so much as noticed affects let alone killed anything I
cherish. Of course if you've got all the time in the world then you can be
as anal as you like.

Famous last words. I won't say which orifice they came out of, but you
seem familiar with it.

Quite. A friend and customer used some on a persistent growth of buttercups
in a corner near a flower bed. It was indeed a totally still, calm day and
nonetheless some plants a foot or so away were 'caught'. They haven't been
killed off but some of the leaves look far from their best! Knowing the
components of something doesn't necessarily mean knowing the best way to use
it. I wonder how many times we've seen posts on urg from people who have
accidentally caught a cherished plant with a bit of weed killer.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk