Old 31-05-2006, 10:39 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz

Default Am I suffocating my plants?

TQ said:

"tmo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it was around 7:00 in the evening
when I was advised to cover the plants so there weren't a lot of
options.

A couple of follow up questions:
1. where does one find cloches for plants about 18 inches tall and
maybe 12 inches in diameter?
2. At what temperature can I stop worrying about needing to cover the
plants (tomatos, peppers & cukes) at night?

You can stop worrying completely about frost damage to tomats, peppers,

and
cukes about a week after the average date of your area/s last frost.

One thing all gardeners should keep in mind about frost is it can occur

when
the morning low temperature is forecast as high as 38°F (~3°C) with lighty
wind b/c temperature readings are taken ~5' AGL (~3m) and it can be 6°F
(~1.5°C) colder on the ground.

Also take note of the sky and the dew point.

In my experience, those late patchy frosts have come on clear nights with
lows predicted for the upper thirties and dew points near 32 F (0 C).

(attributed to Don Marti)