Old 31-05-2006, 01:16 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Penelope Periwinkle

Default pesticides

On Wed, 31 May 2006 02:56:42 GMT, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

Here, in the Pacific NW, where the slugs are legendary...I've had good luck
with simply hand-picking. Go out on a wet spring morning and hand pick all
the slugs you can see. Pull back long grass and leaves where they may be
hiding. Put into a plastic bag. Knot when done, put in the freezer for a
humane death, and the next day drop into the trash. It doesn't take any
longer than spreading slug bait. I used to have a terrible slug infestation
when I first moved here; now there's hardly any.

I put a board in the garden for the slugs to gather under, then I can
simply flip it and squish the little buggers.

In the spring when the red bellied wood pecker is still coming to the
bird feeders, I put the board on the table with the feeding tray, and
get to watch him and some of the other birds peek under the board and
gobble the slugs.

Penelope
"ElissaAnn"