Old 31-05-2006, 11:34 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
elsie

Default Treating powdery mildew in potted rose

jtill wrote:
Hey all, dropped by LOWE's , "YEAR AROUND DORMANT OIL" 11.98 per quart.
I checked contents. CANOLA OIL 98%, Inerts 2%. WOW!
CANOLA is $2.50 qt. at Kroger.
Joe T

Hi Joe

I haven't ever used Canola oil, only vegetable oil, so use your own
judgement. And, yes, the price dif is amazing....why would you spend
all that extra money on dormant oil, when vegetable oil (or canola, if
you're going to use it) does the trick beautifully. ( I learnt this
from an old gardener who had used veg oil instead of dormant oil on his
plants with success for years.) I also make up my own white oil (pest
oil) based on vegetable oil to combat scale on the roses. I have not
had to buy dormant oil/pest oil for years. Much more economical - more
money in our pockets to buy another rose plant! Happy gardening, Elsie