Old 31-05-2006, 01:02 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jonny

Default Shade + Large Dog = New Grass Needed

wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a shady back yard. I also have a large golden retriever who
likes to play and romp back there about 30 minutes a day. Needless to
say, this combination has been hard on my grass, and I now have patches
of bare earth that need to be covered. I've calculated how much will
need to be re-sodded and have estimated it will take a little more than
a pallet.

My questions a

1. What sort of grass should I use? I've got St. Augestine, and it's
not standing up to the dog. I've heard a lot about Zoysia and am
leaning toward that.

2. What sort of compost should I use? Given the smell and the dog, I'm
leaning away from the pure cow manure solution.

1. The Palmetto and Raleigh varieties of St. Augustine. The regular strain
is not shade tolerant. Zoysia is poor in shade tolerance.

2. Cow manure is not a good fertilizer. Stick with horse manure. Direct
application is not advised.
--
Jonny