Old 31-05-2006, 06:07 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Frogs in ponds - nature

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"PlainBill" wrote in message
news

My brother lives about 5 miles from the nearest town. Deer wander
across his yard - and browse in his garden.

They do here as well unless you have a dog. The squirrels once again got
all our pears. :-(

Frogs live in the low
spot in the pasture and eat insects - and sing at night. He'd rather
have to buy vegtables in town than live in town. He figures deer are
better neighbors than people.

He's right. In many cases the wildlife are better neighbors. We live in a
rural area and our "human" neighbors are fine people.
My in-laws bought some lakeshore land and were upset when they
discovered that along with the view and the ocassional waterfowl they
also got frogs, insects, muskrats, pocket gophers, a few racoons, and
a lot of obnoxious fishermen who didn't understand the concept of
'Private Property'. A few discussions with the sheriff and game
warden solved the fisheman problem, but they never came to terms with
the wildlife.

Here we have city people who buy a home in a subdivision next to a farm and
then complain about odors and noise early in the morning. They want to be
in the country but not have all those country annoyances.

Myself, I've got a trumpet vine growing near the koi pond. In
addition to providing shade and beautiful orange flowers, it attracts
hummingbirds and bees. Since both seem to ignore me, they don't upset
me, but a relative wants me to get rid of the vines because she knows
someone allergic to bees. I suggested she could always stay away,
that way she wouldn't have to worry about the bees.

Now there's the answer..... :-))

PlainBill

--
Koi-Lo....