Old 31-05-2006, 06:14 PM posted to rec.ponds
Derek Broughton

Default Frogs in ponds

PlainBill wrote:

My brother lives about 5 miles from the nearest town. Deer wander
across his yard - and browse in his garden. Frogs live in the low
spot in the pasture and eat insects - and sing at night. He'd rather
have to buy vegtables in town than live in town. He figures deer are
better neighbors than people.

I agree with him

My in-laws bought some lakeshore land and were upset when they
discovered that along with the view and the ocassional waterfowl they
also got frogs, insects, muskrats, pocket gophers, a few racoons, and

Man, I'll take all of them over some of the waterfowl. Though seeing the
Black Duck with _twelve_ chicks in tow last night was cool, and the herons
and kingfishers are always beautiful (you can tell I'm not keeping fish!).

a lot of obnoxious fishermen who didn't understand the concept of
'Private Property'.

Here, in Nova Scotia, there _is_ no such concept. Fishermen have complete
right to wander all over my land if I have done nothing to "improve" it
(ie, they can't walk over a mowed lawn or damage my fences, but since my
fences are minimal (to keep the dog in) and I don't have lawn, they're
pretty much free. Fortunately, my land isn't popular with them - it drives
my neighbors livid!

Myself, I've got a trumpet vine growing near the koi pond. In
addition to providing shade and beautiful orange flowers, it attracts
hummingbirds and bees. Since both seem to ignore me, they don't upset
me, but a relative wants me to get rid of the vines because she knows
someone allergic to bees.

I know people allergic to bees to - would you please tear down that vine?
[That is a _really_ odd attitude]
--
derek