Old 31-05-2006, 04:17 PM posted to austin.gardening
Jangchub

Default Shade + Large Dog = New Grass Needed

On Wed, 31 May 2006 14:17:49 GMT,
(Scott Harper) wrote:

In article , Jangchub wrote:
On Wed, 31 May 2006 12:02:27 GMT, "Jonny"
wrote:

1. The Palmetto and Raleigh varieties of St. Augustine. The regular strain
is not shade tolerant. Zoysia is poor in shade tolerance.

All varieties will tolerate full sun or full shade.

I agree, the El Toro/Palisades Zoysia that I started from plugs is thriving,
and spreading, in the shade where even St. Augustine would have a hard time.
I have no experience on the dog tolerance issue though...

scott

I have nothing but St. Augustine and I have old growth live
oaks with 100 foot canopies and it is green, thriving, needing mowing
every five days or so. Even under the trees where it is very dry it
is thriving without sun.