Old 31-05-2006, 08:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Some bird education please

Richard Cole wrote:
On 31 May 2006 06:27:10 -0700, wrote:

I put a feeder out a few months ago and have kept it stocked up with
fat balls.

For months, almost the only visitors (that I saw) were robins. But over
the last month or so, I've not seen any robins at all and the only
visitors have been sparrows.

Sorry for the newbie question but where have the robins gone? Are they
nesting somewhere? If so, they surely still need to eat! And why the
sudden arrival of sparrows? Where were they while the robins ruled the
roost?

Take a look at
http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/r/robin/index.asp,
http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/h...rrow/index.asp and
http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/guide/t...rrow/index.asp

The robins will now be finding plenty to eat of their preferred foods.
Either that or if you had fat balls in the orange mesh, they've choked on
the mesh.

Richard

Janet - thanks for the reassurance.

Richard - Very useful links, thank you. I've had a very enjoyable hour
surfing the RSPB site and have decided to join up, which I guess is
proof that links do their job!

Was a bit alarmed by your comment about the orange mesh. The fatballs
are in green plastic mesh, which I presume has the same potential
danger? Is it recommended then that the fat balls are removed from the
mesh before putting into the feeder?

Thanks

W.