Old 31-05-2006, 10:31 PM posted to rec.gardens
Phisherman

Default POOR CUTTING TORO QUESTION

On 31 May 2006 10:00:19 -0700, "Pete E. Kruzer"
wrote:

I have a Toro 22" recycler with the automatic pace yourself drive
system. I sent this email to Toro.

The above model Toro starts fine, runs fine, but doesn't cut worth a
damn. It is the worst cutting of the mowers I've owned (two Lawnboys,
and another Toro 2 cycle Suzuki engine.) This new mower is fine as long
as you go forward, but if you stop, or ESPECIALLY put the mower
backwards, it leaves large clumps of grass. And never pulling it
backwards is not possible. I keep the underside clean. I was wondering
if there was an upgrade on the blade or something that would prevent
this problem. To be honest with you, I wish I had never purchased this
mower. Just because of its poor cutting.

Among the answers from Toro was this one:

-Set the cutting height on the front wheels one notch lower than the
rear wheels. (i.e., set the front wheels at 2 inches and the rear
wheels at 2 3/8 inches.)

What's the logic behind this suggestion??

Forget this suggestion. Keep all the wheels at the same height, as
stated in the owner's manual. Make sure the grass is dry. I walk
around the yard before mowing to pick up branches or other debris--if
my shoes get wet it's too wet to mow. If the mower clogs up when
mowing dry grass, then install the side chute. Also, you may be
cutting off too much at any given time--no more than 1/3 of the grass
blade should be cut.

BTW, the plastic gears on the rear wheels tend to break--this is a
manufacture design defect that Toro won't admit. Watch for any wobble
in the wheels.