Old 31-05-2006, 10:29 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Qs from Newbie Pond/Koi keeper - scratching - eggs

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Kelly" wrote in message
oups.com...

The problem I have is nitrite.... not nitrate as Hal said.

That will diminish as you pond finishes cycling. Keep it under control with
those partial water changes. Adding salt may help as Jan suggested, but
some plants resent salt and turn yellow, so be careful.

I have the top of the biological filter/waterfall planted full of
plants. I also have two baskets of plants in the pond. I also have
oxygenators in the bottom of the pond. These include:

Pennywort
Water hyacinth
Water Parsley
Water mint
Ogon Sweetflag

and a few others I forget the names of!

That's good. Remember to give them some extra potash (potassium) as your
fish wont supply that. I get it at a Nursery in a nearby town.

I also have something else today that has complicated my situation.

My largest koi is apparently female because there are thousands of eggs
suddenly covering the sides and plants of my
pond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do I get rid of them?

They'll eat most of them. Are you sure they're koi eggs and not newt, frog
or toad eggs? :-)

I tried scraping them off but this just makes a mess, and I don't want
to ruin the water any more. The eggs are REALLY stuck on the sides and
are hard to come off. Should I just leave them?

Koi eggs should come off rather easily. I'm surprised they didn't eat all
those you can see. They may not be koi eggs. Your koi are awfully small to
be breeding. Maybe someone else can suggest how you can handle these eggs.

I don't know if my other fish are old enough to fertilize. They are
only 4 inches long.

I doubt the eggs were fertilized. They'll turn white and disintegrate (if
koi eggs). Did you see breeding activity?

HELP!

--
Koi-Lo....
My Pond & Aquarium Pages: