Old 01-06-2006, 01:33 AM posted to rec.ponds
Kelly

Default Qs from Newbie Pond/Koi keeper - scratching - eggs

Koi-Lo wrote:

My largest koi is apparently female because there are thousands of eggs
suddenly covering the sides and plants of my
pond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How do I get rid of them?

They'll eat most of them. Are you sure they're koi eggs and not newt, frog
or toad eggs? :-)

I'm pretty sure. I scoured the internet for pictures of koi eggs and
mine look identical. Aren't frog/toad eggs blackish in a gel like
substance? These eggs in my pond are EVERYWHERE. And my largest koi
(8 inches) did suddenly look less round.

I tried scraping them off but this just makes a mess, and I don't want
to ruin the water any more. The eggs are REALLY stuck on the sides and
are hard to come off. Should I just leave them?

Koi eggs should come off rather easily. I'm surprised they didn't eat all
those you can see. They may not be koi eggs. Your koi are awfully small to
be breeding. Maybe someone else can suggest how you can handle these eggs.

They are probably not very hungry because of the nitrite levels. After
my 50% water change yesterday, the levels were again sky high at over
1.0 mg/L today. I did another 50% water change tonight. The ones on
the plants came off easily, but not the ones on the sides of the
pre-form.

I don't know if my other fish are old enough to fertilize. They are
only 4 inches long.

I doubt the eggs were fertilized. They'll turn white and disintegrate (if
koi eggs). Did you see breeding activity?

Not really. Since yesterday they have been pre-occupied scratching
themselves against the pump (swimming above it real fast and then
turning on their side). I did notice tonight that some of the eggs are
turning white.

I think I'll go tomorrow and get something for parasites. I'm in
Canada so I can't find the dyacide.... but I will look for something
comparable. Any suggestions?

Kelly