Old 01-06-2006, 02:30 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Qs from Newbie Pond/Koi keeper - scratching - eggs

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Kelly" wrote in message
oups.com...

Koi-Lo wrote:

They'll eat most of them. Are you sure they're koi eggs and not newt,
frog
or toad eggs? :-)

I'm pretty sure. I scoured the internet for pictures of koi eggs and
mine look identical. Aren't frog/toad eggs blackish in a gel like
substance? These eggs in my pond are EVERYWHERE. And my largest koi
(8 inches) did suddenly look less round.

Yes, frog, toad and newt eggs are laid in a jell, are dark and don't "stick"
to the sides. These must be koi eggs.

Koi eggs should come off rather easily. I'm surprised they didn't eat
all
those you can see. They may not be koi eggs. Your koi are awfully small
be breeding. Maybe someone else can suggest how you can handle these
eggs.

They are probably not very hungry because of the nitrite levels. After
my 50% water change yesterday, the levels were again sky high at over
1.0 mg/L today. I did another 50% water change tonight. The ones on
the plants came off easily, but not the ones on the sides of the
pre-form.

Well, no one can say for sure, but they probably wont hatch since the others
are so small - but you never know. If they do hatch you can always net them
out to another container.

I don't know if my other fish are old enough to fertilize. They are
only 4 inches long.

I doubt the eggs were fertilized. They'll turn white and disintegrate
(if
koi eggs). Did you see breeding activity?

Not really. Since yesterday they have been pre-occupied scratching
themselves against the pump (swimming above it real fast and then
turning on their side). I did notice tonight that some of the eggs are
turning white.

I wouldn't worry about the eggs at this point. The scratching would have me
very concerned. Others may disagree but I would get a broad spectrum
parasite killer and treat them to be on the safe side. Many are made for
pond fish. The problem is, you don't know what parasite to treat for
without scrapings. With koi, ulcer disease is always a threat where
parasites are concerned.

I think I'll go tomorrow and get something for parasites. I'm in
Canada so I can't find the dyacide.... but I will look for something
comparable. Any suggestions?

I use Potassium Permanganate (called PP) but you must be very careful with
this one. I also use Quick-Cure and/or Aquara-Sol which are safer, but
don't get all the parasites out there. If you can't get PP, then go for the
Quick-Cure. Unfortunately both may effect your biological filter to some
degree. Salt is less likely to do that but you'd have to remove all the
plants. Salt gets most parasites.
--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.