Old 31-05-2006, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Rock Salt as a weedkiller?

Nick Maclaren wrote:
In article .com,
writes:

[...]
| In North Yorkshire we have great piles of rock salt on the steep hills.
| The run off from them kills grass out to about 6" from a big pile and
| ellipse about 8 feet down the hill.

Interesting. I didn't realise that it was THAT ineffective.

I now wish I'd taken more notice while living in wet west Wales. But
I'd certainly have noticed an 8' ellipse: I doubt if the downslope
killing zone there amounted to more than two feet. But perhaps the
microtopography was different round our local salt-piles, and it all
ran straight into the ditches.

| Using rock salt as a weedkiller in the UK is dumber than dumb.

Quite.

Quite.

--
Mike.