Old 31-05-2006, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Replacing dead plants

Sacha Hubbard writes
Yes, I think most of us would complain at that! We heard the story of
a very elderly gent who had bought a Magnolia campbellii (not from us,
thank goodness!) who was furious when it finally flowers and turned out
to be entirely the wrong one. His anger was compounded by the fact
that he was so old that he felt there was no point in buying another
one of the type which he'd wanted!

I've only ever considered grumbling twice.

Once was an apple tree I bought - I knew it wasn't a good specimen, but
it was the only one of the variety they had, so I obtained a verbal
agreement that they'd replace or refund if it died. But it didn't die,
and it's still struggling on 3 years later - I think it will get there
eventually. I still have the receipt, but I can't face the hassle - it's
a privately owned garden centre with the best range of plants in the
area, but they haven't quite got the hang of 'customer service'. So I'll
just take it as a learning experience.

The other was a packet of seeds, Lychnis coronaria, supposedly the white
flowered variety - but every single one of them came up that garish
magenta which I hate. But I never got round to complaining.

Anything else, unless it dies in the first week (and not from lack of
care on my part) I assume is either my fault or because it doesn't like
my growing conditions - neither of which I can reasonably blame on the
nursery.

--
Kay