Old 31-05-2006, 10:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
WRabbit

Default Some bird education please

Richard Cole wrote:
On 31 May 2006 12:54:42 -0700, wrote:
Richard - Very useful links, thank you. I've had a very enjoyable
hour surfing the RSPB site and have decided to join up, which I
guess is proof that links do their job!

Was a bit alarmed by your comment about the orange mesh. The fatballs
are in green plastic mesh, which I presume has the same potential
danger? Is it recommended then that the fat balls are removed from
the mesh before putting into the feeder?

Will

I really should have put at least half a smiley after that comment
about the mesh, sort of a -).

I recall a comment, I think on radio 4 but possibly in the RSPB
magazine, or in a usenet group, regarding mesh bags, which was
something along the lines of 'do not use them as they can break of
the plastic and then choke'. Unfortunately I can't remember what the
recommended preferred method. (We have a wooden frame with steel mesh
back and front that takes a block of fat, so I didn't worry too much
when I read/heard the comment).

http://www.rspb.org.uk/birds/whatyou...ds/feeding.asp

Last paragraph:
Mesh bags - a warning
Peanuts and fat balls are regularly sold in nylon mesh bags. Never put out
any food in mesh bags. These may trap birds' feet and even cause broken or
torn off feet and legs. Birds with a barbed tongue, eg woodpeckers, can
become trapped by their beaks.

/quote

--
NK