Old 01-06-2006, 05:34 AM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-Lo

Default Qs from Newbie Pond/Koi keeper - scratching - treatment

*Note: There are two "Koi-Lo's" on the pond and aquaria groups.

"Go Fig" wrote in message
In article , Koi-Lo wrote:
I wouldn't worry about the eggs at this point. The scratching would have
me
very concerned. Others may disagree but I would get a broad spectrum
parasite killer and treat them to be on the safe side. Many are made for
pond fish. The problem is, you don't know what parasite to treat for
without scrapings. With koi, ulcer disease is always a threat where
parasites are concerned.

I think I'll go tomorrow and get something for parasites. I'm in
Canada so I can't find the dyacide.... but I will look for something
comparable.

Dylox

Any suggestions?

The most important factor is early intervention.

I use Potassium Permanganate (called PP) but you must be very careful
with
this one.

Very.

I just don't think I would ever dose a pond directly but this is the
fastest acting treatment. I'd consider setting up a PP bath in a trash
can or kiddy pool... VERY well oxygenated!

Unfortunately that leaves any parasites in the pond or filter unharmed and
ready to reattach to the fish when they're returned.

I also use Quick-Cure and/or Aquara-Sol which are safer, but
don't get all the parasites out there. If you can't get PP, then go for
the
Quick-Cure. Unfortunately both may effect your biological filter to some
degree. Salt is less likely to do that but you'd have to remove all the
plants. Salt gets most parasites.

But at the 3+ppm dose needed her plants will suffer... and I don't like
going from 0-3ppm in one step.

That's why I recommend removing them before adding the first dose of salt.
I wouldn't chance it with any pond plants.

I think your suggested Quick-Cure remedy is the best choice at this
point.
The reality here is the fish are victims of 'instant gratification'...
and the seller, if a single provider, should be ashamed. They
potentially have soured a lifelong customer to a customer of the
nursery, after the pond is filled in. Unfortunately, more and more
'nurseries' are the local pond experts though... go fig.

It's that BOTTOM LINE. :-(

A biological filter is paramount in this overstocked pond.

That doesn't happen overnight, but that is why I suggested the 'bacter
vital' to seed the biological filter immediately... whatever
'biological filter' means in this case. I'd 5x the amount of W.H. also
and a good dose of Amequel.

On the Aquaria groups they recommended BioSpira. Since I never used any of
these products I can't say if it works better than the other products out
there.

--
Koi-Lo....
Frugal ponding since 1995.