Old 01-06-2006, 05:56 AM posted to rec.ponds
~ janj

Default Qs from Newbie Pond/Koi keeper - scratching

On 31 May 2006 14:01:39 -0700, "Kelly" wrote:

I have the top of the biological filter/waterfall planted full of
plants. I also have two baskets of plants in the pond. I also have
oxygenators in the bottom of the pond. These include:

Pennywort
Water hyacinth
Water Parsley
Water mint
Ogon Sweetflag

None of these plants will be bothered by 0.1% salt solution.... that's a
little more than 1 lb for your 125 gallons.

My largest koi is apparently female because there are thousands of eggs
suddenly covering the sides and plants of my pond!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This could also have been the reason for flashing. I would not medicated at
this time. Water quality is the best thing you can do for these fish at
this time. IMO. Medicating will set the filter back to square one, and
you'll STILL have water quality issues. ~ jan KISS
See my ponds and filter design:
www.jjspond.us

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a