Old 01-06-2006, 06:40 AM posted to aus.gardens
Linda H

Default birds stealing persimmons

John Savage wrote:

I wonder do flying foxes home in on
fruit because of its colour alone, or would odour come into play also;
otherwise you might be saving fruit from birds only to lose it to the
bats.

Just a guess here, John but I would think that bats being nocturnal and
having fairly poor eyesight would probably be more attracted to odour.
So if that's the case, you're right - you'd save them from birds only to
feed bats.

Maybe bats don't like persimmons or more likely they were grown in an
area where there aren't many bats. Again, I'm guessing, I don't know.

L.