Old 01-06-2006, 01:30 PM posted to aus.gardens
Chookie

Default Do Worm castings contain worm eggs?

In article ,
"Yau-ming Chiam" wrote:

I discovered that the people who owned this property before me- placed a
thick black plastic sheet over the entire garden- and must have killed all
the earthworms. I'm now in the process of removing the black plastic. ;(

Ooh, fun. You'll have practically dead soil under there. I suggest lots and
lots of organic matter -- doesn't matter what kind. Are you on watering
restrictions? Worms like damp soil, as a rule. Most likely you just have
compacted dirt underneath the plastic.

It might be worth buying a truckload of spent mushroom compost or similar and
spreading it across your entire back yard (after removing the plastic, of
course). If you can get a truckload of chipped street prunings from your
council (the boys will drop it off for free after a day's pruning, if you're
lucky), use that over the top, unless you are planning to lay new turf.

If you *are* planning to lay new turf, speak to your turf supplier -- they may
have some better suggestions to make.

--
Chookie -- Sydney, Australia

Kerry Cue