Old 01-06-2006, 12:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Philippe Gautier

Default Snails, where art thou?

Janet Baraclough wrote:
Emrys asked Susie of Arran whether she had tried a night hunt for
snails eating her rhubarb. No need; snail populations and activity are
minimal in Scotland. On the Scottish mainland (much colder than here),
I very rarely saw one, and never bigger than my little finger nail. Here
on Arran where it's mild, there are a few more, the biggest the size of
my thumbnail, with thin, striped pastel shells. Maybe I spot one of
these small pretty snails once or twice in a month.

My relatives gardens around London and the Home Counties have hundreds
of huge rapacious grey/brown snails the size of a walnut.

The question for urglers is; where does the UK's Big Rapacious Snail
zone start and finish? With global warming, are they advancing
northwards?

Janet.

Well, as I said in a recent mail: thousand of them (and slugs) in my
garden in Edinburgh! It really is a MAJOR pain.

Philippe