Old 01-06-2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

Default any good source of seeds for tomatoes.

"Mark" wrote in message
oups.com...
any good source of seeds for tomatoes.
How do I start things from seeds?

Over the years, I've always gotten the best germination rates from Burpee
seeds: www.burpee.com. My definition of "best" means I plant 12 seeds, and
11 grow. I've gotten less than wonderful results from Park, Thompson &
Morgan and Harris. There are lots of other seeds companies, but I haven't
tried others.

As far as how you start things from scratch, I (and anyone else) would be
doing you a huge disservice by explaining it. You should go to the library,
find some books, and start reading. There are brief instructions on seed
packets, but there's no way they can be fully informative. If you want a
good book recommendation, especially for a beginner, go to www.powells.com,
and get a used copy of "Crockett's Victory Garden". Each chapter represents
one month of the growing season in Boston, and his advice is excellent.
Ignore what he says about chemicals, though. He went WAY overboard.