Old 01-06-2006, 07:09 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

Default New Phrags

LISA HOLMES wrote:
Hi Folks,

I have bought 2 new phragmipediums and 1 paph.

Phrag. longifolium 'Green Vista'
Phrag. pearcei 'Birchwood'
Paph. rothschildianum 'Spot' x self

I have had good luck under lights with paphs and have tried the phrags in
the past with no luck. I live on the Gulf Coast close to Houston were it is
humid, hot, and wet most of the time. Do I need to keep the phrags sitting
in a saucer of water? Should I keep them inside under my light stand? I've
got good advice here before and thought I would try again.

Thanks,
Lisa Holmes

For those species, I personally wouldn't leave them sitting in saucers
of water. Actually you have some pretty tolerant plants, they will take
pretty much anything you give them, so do whatever is most convenient
for you. For phrags, err on the side of overwatering (when in doubt, go
ahead and water).

You might want to try Ray's semihydroponics method for phrags. I use
this technique for almost all of mine. http://firstrays.com

Not sure why you lost the first ones. I have not had the pleasure of
growing plants in Houston, just in the (quite tropical lately) great
white north, so perhaps somebody closer to your climate has better advice.

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1