Old 01-06-2006, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snails, where art thou?

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

It's a social housing thingy. Northern slugs can't afford a roof over their
heads:-)
I do remember a lot of snails in Dumfries but never saw one in my last
garden in W. Yorkshire, which was only a short distance away from other folk
who were plagued by them.
My current garden, 2 miles from my previous house, is host to both snails
and slugs. The most troublesome is a very small one (1-2mm) which appears to
do most damage, but that's probably because I have difficulty in seeing
them.

When I moved up here, we had loads of slugs but very few snails, now we
have both.

Amongst the slugs, it is the smaller species which do the most damage to
living plants - the larger ones prefer dead stuff.
--
Kay