Old 01-06-2006, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert \(W.Yorkshire\)

Default Plant IDs please - worrisit ?

"adm" wrote in message

"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" wrote in message

"K" wrote in message
"Rupert (W.Yorkshire)" writes

441 Coarse veined leaf =Lamium (dead nettle)

Dead nettle family, but I think it's the red flowered hedge woundwort,
Stachys sylvatica, which smells something horrid when you pull it up.

Dunno the only one I am familiar with is the white one which makes a very
handsome plant with an almost impossible tap root.

White flower looks like a forget-me-not (a white one)

It's a bedstraw - if you look closely, it has 4 petals not five, and you
can see several of the characteristic whorled leaves - 1in to the L and
0,5 inches down, for example.

Yes got it know. You have good eyesight or is mine getting even worse.
I don't know what the abundant shoots which fill up most of the photo
are.
--

Me neither and he did not ask. I suppose Lysimachia clethroides might fit
some. I think I can see Oenothera or perhaps Hesperis matronalis.

Kay

Thanks everyone !

I most certainly do have a goodley collection of plants. I have about half
an acre of garden that I am slowly taming. I bought the house last year
and everything had been left to run riot for a few years. There is also a
field next door, so lots of wild flowers and other plants had started to
invade. Everyone that comes here says that there is a very good selection
of plants in the garden - something to give colour at almost any time of
year. I just have to figure out what they all are and how best to care for
them.

Anyway - those were the five plants that I knew nothig about yesterday.
Now I at least know what they are. There's more to come.....

I just noticed that in your original post you also asked about reference
sources and mentioned the RHS encyclopaedia.
I am not certain which one you mean as there are several. The "A-Z
encyclopaedia of garden plants" and the gardeners' "Encyclopaedia of Plants
& Flowers". The later classifies things by season, height and colour.
If you do not possess this one then it is worth the money.