Old 02-06-2006, 12:41 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants,rec.aquaria.freshwater
Mark Baldwin

Default Black Brush and green algae problems.

The best way to avoid algae is to make sure your plants have everything they
need to grow, then they will simple outcompete the algae for nutrients.

This isn't an easy thing to do since if your missing just one nutrient then
the plants will slow down and the algae increase.

Generally...

Phospate - 0.1ppm
Nitrate - 5ppm
CO2 - 20-35ppm
GH - 3 ( calcium/potassium/magnesium )

You say you have no phospate - this will limit plant growth and you will
probably see green algae on the glass and leaves.

If you have algae on the water surface it's a sure sign of overfeeding.

pH of 6.8 and KH of 3 means approx 14ppm of CO2 - the plants will grow
better if the CO2 is above 20ppm (just change your KH to 4)

Don't use any pH buffers!

--
Best regards
Mark

".D.E." wrote in message
I recently redid my substrate last may and replaced it with the Black
Oceanic substrate. It looks great and haven't had many problems. I tried to
remove any Malaysian trumpet snail eggs from the plants. Now the snails are
back, quite a few. Usually 2 every inch of substrate. I have noticed within
the last month, black brush growing again and a green film on top of the
water. I do biweekly water changes now, aprox 30%. I did notice that the
nitrates are about 12.5, I added some nitrate remover today as well as
added co2 again at 2 bubbles per sec. Nitrites are ok, ph, 6.8, no
phosphates, no ammonia, GH 7 KH are about 3.

Is it possible that the amount of trumpet snails could be effecting the
nitrates? The fish are fine, japonica are well, and everyone is happy,
except me since the algae is becoming a real problem.

Any suggestions on how to remove them without chemicals?

Thanks.

--
Later.

D.E.