Old 01-06-2006, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default a lawn of weeds....help!

wrote:
we have been in our house for 3 years and have never been brave enough
to tackle the garden. its gotten progressively worse and is nice
basically all weeds, which i embarrasingly cut every copule of weeks.
We are getting married later this year and dont have the money or time
to do much in the garden now until next year.

(snip)
next year we are thinking of just getting someone in to replace the
turf, and do whatever it is that needs doing to make it look like a
proper garden! what i dont want to do is to take some action now that
will mean problems next year - i dont know the best time to replace and
grow a new lawn...

Why don't you just wait until next year so that a professional dig out
all your weeds and replace the turf? If you apply weed killer now, it
will look awful for the rest of the year if you don't do anything else.

I'm not an expert on lawn and I don't use chemicals at all. However, I
saw a fantastic idea the other day at a community garden in Wigan. They
cut/mowed a path through an overgrown area and kept islands of tall
grasses. On the edge of the path the had cut, they introduced flowers,
marguerites, valerian, scabiosas, mallows etc. not from seeds, but
bought a few plants and it looked just so great. It's cheap, it's
natural, it's good for the environment (and your soul) and you might
end up liking it very much! Then next year let your people do the turf
)