Old 02-06-2006, 08:51 AM posted to sci.bio.botany

Default Percentage of sunlight needed by plants for photosynthesis?

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to find the percentage of sunlight needed for a proper
photosynthesis and for plants to grow properly.
For example on a cloudy day where not all of the sunlight gets to the
soil, plants apparently still grow fine (or not?) so what is the
minimum need for a plant?
If the sun was only producing 50% (or 60, 70%...?), would the plant
still have enough light for photosynthesis?
I'm not taking into account the heat generated by sunlight and also
obviously needed by the plant. I just want to know about the percentage
of light needed.

I guess it's different for every species but I'd like an approximate
answer if possible. If you answer with message, please take into
account the fact that I'm not at all a scientist, so try to make it
basic please.

Thanks in advance.

Chris