Old 02-06-2006, 12:42 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Kate

Default Question regarding black plastic

"AndyS" wrote in message
ups.com...
: Andy asks:
:
: I've read that some posters here use black plastic with
: plants like tomatoes, and probably others as well.
:
: So, it sounds like a really good idea.
:
: Are there any disadvantages to using black plastic that
: I should be aware of ?
:
: Thanks for any advice on this subject ..
:
: Andy in Eureka, Texas

Hey Andy

For the first time this year, we used some black plastic weed cloth in our
garden. We freshly tilled an area to plant corn in and it was surely going
to be full of grass so we gave it a shot. We usually cover out pathways with
straw so we covered it too and it blends in pretty well, and no grass in our
corn. The weedcloth (WalMart - $10 for about 120' x 3') says it's good for
several years and it lets moisture and nutrients in. I think the straw will
help keep the soil from heating up too much too.

It might be ugly, but it's pretty much out of sight and no grass in my corn.
www.selby.ws/images/garden.jpg
Sorry, the photo is fuzzy, even my camera isn't awake yet this morning.

Kate

: