Old 02-06-2006, 08:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default Snails, where art thou?

I used iron phosphate bait around vegetables (the second round -- the
first was largely consumed, many before even showing themselves) and
then went hand picking every night with a flashlight. I had to replace
the bait several times because it was all getting consumed in just a
couple of nights. It gave me odd pleasure to see a snail chowing down
on a pellet.

With the hand picking I was gathering maybe fifty to a hundred on an
average evening. Totally sickeningly gross.

I also started clearing out the various piles of junk (and some plants
with dense foliage) that gave them daytime hiding places.

Things are much better this year -- knock on compost.

Iron phosphate is very good and I am going to switch over to it. It
apparently works by stopping them eating, its not a poison and the crawl off
and die of starvation some days later, so no corpses :~)

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk