Old 02-06-2006, 05:08 PM posted to sci.bio.botany,sci.geo.meteorology

Default dog-gone another drought, only this is a Spring time drought

Scott L wrote:

Pine needles will work. I've never heard of oak leaves
acidifying anything -- they take forever to break down
anyway. When we acidified soil for our blueberry bushes,
we bought something from the garden supply store. And
for the life of me, I can't remember what we bought!
The only problem with acidifying alkaline soil is that
you need to periodically re-acidify it. And that means
testing its pH annually.

I've never heard of using asphalt shingles for mulch --
but I suppose they will last for quite a long time.

Here in WI, we've had a wet April/May, so I'm waiting to
see how much of a slug problem we'll have.

Scott

I do not have access to large quantity of pine needles and any pine
trees around here are beloved by their owners.

But I wonder if I can get a nursing tree or plant alongside hazelnuts.
I wonder if the Black Walnut releases juglans which is acidic and
whether the hazelnuts would thrive under those conditions so that I
place hazelnuts between two rows of black-walnuts. I suppose I can
place the hazelnuts between two rows of pine trees. Austrian pine grows
well here so I will check to see if Austrian pine sheds enough needles
to be a nursing partner to hazelnut.

I would guess the chemical is some form of aluminum sulfate, Scott.

Does anyone know if horsemanure or other forms of manure is acidic? If
I got the wet and fresh horse manure, whether it is acidic. For I seem
to be able to get plenty of horsemanure.

Archimedes Plutonium
www.iw.net/~a_plutonium