Old 02-06-2006, 10:43 PM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom

Default Seed germination

"Lawrence Akutagawa" wrote in message
. com...

"Sodbuster7!" wrote in message
Lawrence, last year I had a terrible time with my seed germinating,
and what did germinate damped off. It turned out , in my opinion,that
it was the peat cups and peat pelets. It was the first(and last) year
I had used them. Another thing is the potting soil. I purchased the
best potting soil I could find (I thought) Miracle-grow. Why did
mushrooms sprout in all my pots?????(because they used mushroom
compost (a bi-product of muhroom production) and did not sterilize it.

On the issue of water, a couple bucks will buy you 2 gals of distilled
water, and will be more than enough to get your seedlings going.

The way I sprouted my seed this year is, I have a glassed in
entertainment center. I set me a thermometer on one of the vacant
shelves, Overnight (with nothing operating) thetemperature remained
above 70 degrees. In short I sprouted my seed there with near 100%
germination. Okra sprouted in 3 days, tomatoes in 5. The only
problem is that as soon as the first start to sprout you have to get
them out of there and to a good light source.

Have a good one. SodB!

Thanks for the ideas. Much appreciated. Given the content of some of the
indoors with the 'city' water have indeed sprouted once I moved their
containers outside and used stored rain water on them. The newly emerged
plants are thriving.

Try aging the indoor water next time, since it requires no effort
whatsoever. If that solves your problem, you win.