Old 02-06-2006, 11:58 PM posted to rec.ponds
Roy

Default oyster shells

IMNSHO unless yu have low enough PH to allow them to start to become
soluable they do not mean all that much. There is a very small area
that they are effective.

I had low PH in a pond and nothing I did brought it up to where I
really wanted it. Talking to my friend a marine biologist at Uof F and
he told me if all my parameters are fine, adn the fish are fine don't
worry about it......so I quit ****ing with it and have yet to have any
problems. I would have to think if yur changing any water out, the
calcium nmormally found in any water is sufficient. I do lots of
sal****er tanks and if yu listen to the so called pros, theyall say yu
need calcium, but I have yet to add calcium and do nothing but water
changes and my calcium levels stay within the 450 to 490 range..

What is your calcium readings now?

On Fri, 02 Jun 2006 21:10:58 GMT, "Snooze" wrote:
Has anyone here had much experience with using oyster shells to provide
calcium for aquatic crustaceans and to buffer pond pH? Primarily any
difficulties with general hardness because of the extra calcium? Obviously
I'll have to keep a closer eye on the pH now, and possibly deal with calcium
buildup at the waterline.

Otherwise any other suggestions?

-S