Old 03-06-2006, 01:29 AM posted to rec.ponds
Snooze

Default oyster shells

"Roy" wrote in message

IMNSHO unless yu have low enough PH to allow them to start to become
soluable they do not mean all that much. There is a very small area
that they are effective.

Probably true, I'm not really sure if daphnia nibble on the shells or if it
just dissolves into the water.

I do lots of
sal****er tanks and if yu listen to the so called pros, theyall say yu
need calcium, but I have yet to add calcium and do nothing but water
changes and my calcium levels stay within the 450 to 490 range..

What is your calcium readings now?

Calcium readings are unknown. I primarily measure the levels when I remember
to or feel like it. But I suppose they're probably high enough, given the
amount of calcium buildup we get in our pipes and the flecks of calcium that
clog up the faucet screen filters. My goal is primary to increase the number
of daphnia in the pond.

Last year I had a 2L bottle with it's top cut off. I used to keep it sunk
with a rock, and covered with a plastic grate. Periodically I'd inspect the
contents of the bottle to see what kind of aquatic insects are roaming
about. This year, I'm not finding much. A few 3mm long worms, which I
suspect are leaches are often anchored to the pvc pipes. A few dragonfly
nymph and I think I saw a ferry shrimp or two.

No luck in finding daphnia or planaria.

Maybe I'll find them as summer approaches.

-S