Old 02-06-2006, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Whats the best way of storing saved seeds ???

Chris Hogg wrote:

I keep mine in paper packets, e.g. old envelopes, in the door of the
fridge. Seems to be OK, but I wouldn't claim it to be the _best_ way.

The RHS proclaim it to be the best way Chris! But I've never stored
mine in the fridge or freezer. Tiny one would burn, I always thought
and then if I want to scater them the following year, I defrost and
refrost?! I think it's not a good idea. Also I had a bad time once
freezing some capper seeds - they got too damp and moldy. I lost the
lot. I keep my seeds in paper envelopes, most of them I make myself or
use old seeds packets making sure I put the name on it. All are kept in
tins, one for flowers, the other vegs. I've done this for as long as I
can remember. This year I have grown 2 years old tomatoes seeds - all
came out and I managed to successfully grow proteas from seeds last
year, given to me by a friend who kept them in her shorts pocket for 3
weeks whilst visiting south africa )