Old 03-06-2006, 03:06 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
TQ

Default Question regarding black plastic

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" wrote in message
In article ,
"TQ" ToweringQs AT adelphia.net wrote:

"AndyS" wrote in message
ups.com...
Andy asks:

I've read that some posters here use black plastic with
plants like tomatoes, and probably others as well.

So, it sounds like a really good idea.

Are there any disadvantages to using black plastic that
I should be aware of ?

*** Disadvantages of Black Plastic ***

Initial Expense
It/s Ugly
Adds nothing to the improve fertility
It/s Ugly
Makes applying fertilizer difficult
It/s Ugly
Makes watering difficult
PIA to clean up when the season/s over
Eventually ends up in a landfill

Did I mention that it/s ugly?

What about landscaping/weed control fabric, topped with mulch?
I'd considered using that for weed control.....

Unless I/m mistaken, the weed cloth pictured in Kate/s garden and also used
by others in this thread is used to keep weeds down in the rows / walkways
between the beds.

Why not just leave a narrow strip between the beds and use a mower?

May/s garden...
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/4756/00006608fi.jpg

Reverse angle...
http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/4166/00006732wa.jpg