Old 03-06-2006, 03:49 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Eggs Zachtly

Default How do you get rid of 5-leaf ivy and some other stuff?

I Love Lucy said:

I read the crabgrass tip with vinegar, will try that; this is a helpful
group as I have had that problem ever since I lived here for over 30
years, was just out digging some up trying to get as much root as
possible because I didn't dig out enough when I planted a new flowerbed
in front of the house. I did purchase some of that black landscape
stuff, but will need help getting it installed, but it should help some,
but I doubt it will stop all of it..

Over the years, we have these two kinds of climbing horrors (I guess
they're pretty if you want them). One I'm sure if 5-leaf ivy, the stuff
people used to grow up their chimneys in the midwest anyway.

Are you talking about Virginia Creeper?

The other
kind, I don't know the name of, but I'm pretty sure it isn't poison ivy,
looks like wild grape a little but no fruit. The stuff will grow over
your whole house and garage if you let it.

Virginia Creeper quite often grows along side poison ivy.

snip

anyone know the best way or any way to either get rid of the stuff or
keep it at bay better than pulling all the time. I swear it must spread
those underground root systems they develop from a quite a ways away.

Cut them back to a few inches from the ground, and then paint them with a
half-strength solution of triclopyr. Everything above the cut will wither
and die, and the herbicide will do the rest. Painting it on with a
paintbrush will give you better control over the herbicide if there are
plants in the area that you would like to keep.

--
Eggs

Do infants enjoy infancy as much as adults enjoy adultery?