Old 03-06-2006, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Charlie Pridham

Default Snails, where art thou?

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Fri, 2 Jun 2006 08:07:52 +0100, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

Iron phosphate is very good and I am going to switch over to it. It
apparently works by stopping them eating, its not a poison and the crawl

off
and die of starvation some days later, so no corpses :~)

I've never heard of it outside a chem.lab. Does it work on slugs also?
I presume so. Is it commonly available, e.g. in garden centres? I
imagine it's fairly weather-proof, as it's not soluble in water, IIRC.

--
Chris

Trade name is "Femerol" it has just received its full licence, it is indeed
very long lasting with two applications per year being recommended.
The effect is instant and irreversible and death occurs in 3-6 days later
from starvation.
Both the pellets and slugs/snails that eat them are harmless to mammals,
birds and invertebrates other than molluscs. It can apparently be used with
organic growing set-ups if prior approvals are obtained.
Its so effective they recommend that you only spot treat as blanket treating
will result in a drop in food supply for anything which eats slugs and
snails.

--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk