Old 03-06-2006, 07:52 PM posted to rec.gardens
I Love Lucy

Default Urgent, will it be too late to plant lily bulbs in two weeks?

"William Wagner" wrote in message
In article ,
"I Love Lucy" wrote:

We have to fill in where new steps were poured with topsoil (can mix
in
some peat I have), and I read that lilies are good to prevent soil
erosion. Can I plant the bulbs if I order some as late as the middle
of
June? Usually they should be planted in the fall.

Give it a shot. Consider the alternative. Waiting...not always a bad
thing ) But if you have the bulbs now plant now and transplant
when
you are ready perhaps in large pots? Lilies can grow to six foot +. A
consideration I'd go with a ground cover out to your lilies. Is OK
make many mistakes.

Oh, thank you. They are kind of expensive; I don't care if they don't
bloom this year, only that I get them planted right and properly and
they make it through the winter. I'll read up on them. If they spread
that much, maybe I don't need so many. I need to order them, but the
place was pretty fast on my last order.

Yes, I've made my share of mistakes, and can't say I've learned from all
of them. Some I just don't know why something didn't grow and thrive.

The current ground cover is nasty grass and weeds on a terrace that
needs a complete overhaul. But I need something started to hold the
soil first.

What goes with lilies? Do you have any ideas? Not completely full sun
but away from the house some and facing east, so most of it gets sun for
a significant part of the day.

I have!

Bill

--