Old 03-06-2006, 08:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Jenny

Default Croscosmia MIA

I planted two kinds of these from bulbs I bought at Home Depot after the
soil had warmed up and hard frosts were done, but many weeks later, not
a shoot is to be seen anywhere.

I dug up one patch and found a moldy bulb and one that looked fine but
had nothing happening with it.

We've had a LOT of rain, but it's been warm. My dahlia roots, planted
about the same time have stuck little shoots up already. Bagged cheap
day lillies also planted at the same time are doing great.

I found conflicting advice about when to plant Crocosmia in Zone 5, with
some saying in the fall and others in the spring.

Should I keep waiting for them to wake up or yank them and put in
something else? They're taking up a lot of room in the limited sunny
area of my garden and if they're not going to do anything I'd like to
replace them with something else.

--Jenny
Zone 5 on cold hillside