Old 03-06-2006, 08:15 PM posted to rec.gardens
Val

Default sad news

I, from first hand personal experience, think the only sad part about
Heronswood is that is was never a customer friendly nursery in the first
place. The mail order plants were small, sad, pathetic and expensive. I got
stiffed three out of three orders so I could see no reason to chance even
bother ordering again. IF you ever got in, the few times I went was "by
appointment only, my friends and I, after a 3 hour drive, were treated as if
they did us a big damned favor to even be around and questions were answered
with a "how could you be so stupid" attitude. We called ahead to see if the
plants we wanted were available, were assured they were, but upon arrival
only 2 of the many we asked about were for sale. People skills they don't
have. Their customer service on the phone was rude at best if there was a
problem with orders.The place is an awesomely beautiful garden that would be
difficult to rival, it has plants that are breath taking but as far as I'm
concerned, as a business, it was merely a great way for the Heronswood
owners to get their traveling to exotic places financed by tax write offs. I
can understand why Martha Stewart made this one of her favorite places since
their pretension and condescension was so very complimentary to each other.

I hope now that they got their bucks from Burpee their next financial coup
will be with somebody who wants to open a beautiful public garden. I heard
the Heronswood duo on the radio/TV (can't remember, it's been awhile, some
garden spot I was listening to while puttering around the house) and they
said they HOPED it would not be sold to developers and destroyed. I guess
the next step for Heronswood Nursery fans is to sit back and see who the
highest bidder will be; a devoted horticulture connoisseur with deep pockets
or a guy with a bulldozer and plans for another housing development and
strip mall.

Val (just south of Travis)

"Travis M." wrote in message
Heronswood closing and moving to Pennsylvania.

http://archives.seattletimes.nwsourc...y=her onswood

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5