Old 03-06-2006, 06:01 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Default repotting

On shipping: Besides what Ray said, I think it depends on the local service
in your area. Priority Mail works very well for us (problem rate about a
half a percent based on number of packages); FedEx also works fine, but is
on average more expensive at my volume level. I may try UPS again, but some
years ago there was a bad driver on this route -- s/he would show up after
hours and, finding us closed, just throw the boxes over the fence ... Have
not tried DHL. For a few small plants, I suspect Priority Mail will be your
best bet. If you have a small scale and use the online click-n-ship service
to purchase your labels with postage, you can schedule a free pickup and
avoid the long lines at the PO. And if you have an email address for the
recipient, USPS will send them a shipping confirmation and tracking #.

On the Max: They're very tenacious, but you should expect a sulk after
repotting. The only ones I've ever lost were some small divisions that came
from a horribly over-grown and badly-neglected plant that came to us in very
poor condition, from an estate sale -- knock wood. Kenni

"bobc" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hello RGO!
I have a Maxillaria tenuifolia I just repotted into osmunda from it's
original bark substrate. I have read that Maxillaria in general do not
like root disturbance. I waited until I saw new growth before
repotting.
Do any of you have experience with this plant and repotting? Will it
just sulk for a while, or can it have a more drastic reaction?
[My reasoning went like this - "Put Lockhartia into osmunda - went well
... Maxillaria too? Let's find out!"]
I also have a question about mail ordering, or rather shipping orchids
through the mail. The couple vendors I've brought from used the USPS
and now use FedEx. Browsing online, it seems a common carrier. I
never had a problem with USPS on the receiving end. I would like to
sell some of my orchids, but don't know if I should use USPS or FedEx.
Any comments? I'm only talking a few small plants and only the
domestic US area.
Thanks in advance!
Bob Campoli - BTW I noticed a single spike from one of the mounted
divisions of Pths. sp. cf. groybii! Ya Hoo!