Old 03-06-2006, 10:14 PM posted to rec.gardens
MidnightDad

Default Dead birch trees

My landscaper installed three white (or Jacquemontii) birch trees last
summer. They are each about 8 feet tall. I live in NJ and we had a
drought last year where it didn't rain for two months. I diligently
watered the trees almost every day and they seemed to be doing ok. Our
soil is mostly red clay. Over the winter I noticed they were losing
branches. I would find main branches on the ground with a clean break
from the trunk. This spring, the trees didn't bud and they are barren.
I think they are all dead. Does anyone have any ideas or insight
about what happened? Are there any signs of parasite damage I should
look for? Is there any treatment I can give them? BTW, I received no
guarantee from the landscaper so it looks like I'm out $1,000.