Old 04-06-2006, 12:56 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default Applying herbicide to grass - best time?

JoeSpareBedroom wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a 45 degree slope I plan to plant creeping thyme on. Lately,
the weather has not been cooperative for rototilling and planting the
slope. But my main question is, what is the best weather condition for
applying herbicide to kill the lawn grass on my slope so I will have an
easier time rototilling? Also, how long do I wait after applying
herbicide before I rototill?

Here's a tricky question: Think of a scale of "easy vs difficult", where 1
is easy and 10 is unbelievably difficult. Where would you rank rototilling
without grass, vs rototilling with the tall grass in place?

I have learned that rototilling after grass is killed most likely
ensures grass roots are dead and will not return to interfere with what
new is planted. Is this correct?