Old 04-06-2006, 01:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
Lucky

Default Have plenty of tree branches and leaves. Want to use as fertilizer.

John A. Keslick, Jr. wrote:
Jason

If he is going to mulch trees with the product, it would be nice to know
the proper way. Many people, don't get it. Don't believe it because I said
it, yet believe it because you see it for yourself.

O.K. I didn't know there were too many ways to "mulch wrong" but I
will trust you know what you are doing.

Anyway, you can use branches as mulch. That is a very good question. I am
glad you asked that question. What I am trying to say is that mulch comes
in different gradations. From composted leaves to tree trunks. I. e., if
you go to where trees received their genetic codes or shall I say
requirements (in a group). You can find some benefits of larger mulch he
http://www.treedictionary.com/DICT20...nce/index.html

You lost me with the "Genetic Code" part, compost means "mixture" and
that's precisely what it entails, a mixture of decaying items which
release their nutrients as a natural fertilizer as well as trapping
much needed moisture and helping to prevent the growth of weeds.

You could make a brush pile for small wildlife and such or you could give
the wood from the branches soil contact. You could cut them in 4' pieces.
In areas of fire concern, by giving the wood soil contact, you can reduce
fire risk. There must be more than just fear of fire in the decision making
processes of the management of trees and their associates..

That would be very time consuming, especialy if you don't have any
machinery. You also wouldn't want a brush pile near your home, so as
not to attrackt mice, snakes and who knows what else. So if you decide
on this, just make sure to keep it a good distance from the home.

If you chipped the branches, I would suggest composting the wood chips for a
year first. Unless the wood is symplastless, which then the wood chips
would be fine at the time of chipping. Also by aging, you reduce the
chances of artillery fungus. Fresh chips can attract undesirables which can
and do do nasty things above as well as below ground. Mulch should be
approximately 4" thick and flat. Keep the mulch back from the trunk flair
about 6" if you can. BTW, when we chip a branch with a symplast, we cut the
parenchyma cells thus smearing protoplasm all over the place. That is what
attracts the undesirables that attack the defenseless cell contents. You do
not have that situation when you use the 4' lengths of branches.

Not the last word on the topic.

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/
that we are not the boss.
Some people will buy products they do not understand and not buy books that
will give them understanding.
"Lucky" wrote in message
oups.com...

John A. Keslick, Jr. wrote:
Mark

http://mercury.ccil.org/~treeman/sub3.html

Sincerely,

John A. Keslick, Jr.
Beware of so-called TREE EXPERTS who do not understand TREE BIOLOGY!
www.treedictionary.com

He wants to use tree branches and leaves as mulch, not to learn how to
mulch trees.

-Jason