Old 04-06-2006, 01:24 AM posted to rec.gardens
Jenny

Default Croscosmia MIA

Lucky wrote:
Jenny,

I have had many of the same problems, except that I purchased my bulbs
from Walmart.

I think the place you purchase it from is a clue to how well they will
perform.

Walmart's care of their garden center is horrendous. They do not seem
to water any plant, as each time I go in the soils in the pots are
bone-dry.

I bought $45.00 worth of Iris bulbs only to discover, upon opening the
bags up an examining further, that over half were severly infected with
Thripes. ****es me Off!! -Especialy since the the thripes could not be
seen through the bags or else I would have most definately NOT
purchased them.

The only thing I would suggest is carefuly dig up the bulbs and dispose
of any that are suffering from soft-rot or which are otherwise no
longer viable. Place them in a bowl and loosly cover them with sand.
You may then place the bowl in the fridge for a week and then check to
see if any new root formation has developed. If so, replant them and
see if they take off from there. If they don't you might want to take
the bowl out of the fridge and place them in a dark location that is
protected from extremes in humidity and attempt to plant in the fall or
winter. You might also just leave them be and count your losses. Next
year they might suprise you by gracing you with their presence.

--Jenny

Thanks, Jason. That sounds like some very helpful advice, I'm going to
dig up a few patches and try the fridge trick, leave the rest, and plant
over some of them because I just hate to waste sun. My garden is
about 75% shaded and though some happy columbines, day lilies, lupines,
and non-stop begonias have helped me come to terms with shade, I do
treasure the few spots where I can grow something sun-loving!

The bulbs looked fine when I planted them,. I've had the same
experience as you mention with buggy, rotted, Wal-mart plants and don't
put anything into my garden now without giving it a very careful look
over. It may just be too wet for them or it may be they don't like my
red rock/sandy soil. Irises won't grow in it either, though Dahlias love
it.