Old 04-06-2006, 01:24 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
I Love Lucy

Default How do you get rid of 5-leaf ivy and some other stuff?

wrote in message
ups.com...

I Love Lucy wrote:
"Stubby" wrote in message
. ..

I believe poison oak has five leaves. Google it.

I did. It usually has 3 leaves but sometimes 5. My 5-leaved vine is
not poison oak, leaves are shiny, differently shaped. I doubt if the
other is poison oak either, but it looks a little like it. Some
people
do have a horrid reaction to it. If it were poison oak, since it is
so
ubiquitous in the neighborhood, I'm reasonably certain that someone
would have tried to get help from the city erradicating it and word
would surely have gotten around about it.

If the vines are in an area where you can spray, then just spraying
with 3% Roundup will work. Or you can cut and then treat the new
growth with Roundup or one of the similar products made for weeds and
brush. They are cheaper and more effective than triclopyr, which is a
selective herbicide.

Some areas I could spray because they are presently unplanted. Would it
affect future roses and flowers I hope to plant there? For other areas,
it would be better to use the paintbrush and the triclopyr method as I
wouldn't want to ruin what is already planted there, sparse though it
be. I'm even afraid to have Chem Lawn come and spray the lawn for fear
spray would drift onto my new plants. I suppose I could ask them about
that, but I would definitely need a second opinion . . .here or on
another forum I frequent. This one is more active so you usually don't
have to wait very long for answers. Today they have been almost
instantaneous which is amazing. ID'ed couple birds on the bird group,
got a handle on what to do with this annoying vine, and an almost
instantaneous answer about a lily question. Amazing.

I added your info to my file on this matter. Thanks much!